Sheryll Prowse JP - Civil Marriage Celebrant - Wagga Wagga, NSW. 

FA Questions

Q: What are our legal requirements?

 A: Before you can be married you will need to complete and lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage form with a marriage celebrant. This needs to be completed at least a month and a day prior to your wedding and is valid for 18 months.

I am required to sight the following documents:
  • If born in Australia - original birth certificate.
  • If born overseas - original birth certificate or overseas passport.
  • If either of you have been previously married - original divorce papers (certificate of divorce or decree absolute) or death certificate of a previous spouse.

Q: How do I make a booking?

A: When you contact me, you will need to ask if I am  available on the date you have set for your special day. I will then make the booking, taking details of time, location, date etc and send a letter confirming the booking. With this letter will be a Notice of Intention form and brochures to further help you plan your wedding. It is advisable to make your booking as early as possible- particularly for weddings in Autumn and Spring.
Q: Can we write our own wedding ceremony?
A: Yes, you may write some or the whole of your ceremony if you wish.(with the inclusion on some legal requirements). I am happy to assist with all aspects of your ceremony.

Q: Do I need to pay for a Meeting?
A: No, all costs are inclusive and full payment may be made at any time ( at least 7 days) prior to the wedding. A no obligation first meeting is available if you wish to meet me initially - prior to booking.

Q: Do I need to pay a Booking Fee?
A: No, though some people wish to pay in instalments- to suit their budget and this is fine.
Q: Do I have to pay for travel  expenses if  the ceremony is held more than 20km from Wagga Wagga?
A: Yes, this will be discussed at the time of booking and is dependent on distance. 

Q: Are there any time limits to me getting married?
A: Yes, you need to have your Notice of Intention To Marry form signed and have it witnessed by a qualified person and returned to me no later than 1 month and 1  day prior to your wedding. Your wedding must take place within 18 months of the Notice Of Intention To Marry being received by a celebrant.

Q: How do I get my original birth certificate?
A: To apply for your original   Australian birth certificate you can get this through your local court house for a fee or by applying through BIRTHS DEATHS AND MARRIGES ( NSW -see my links page) from the state you were born in.
Q: Am I able to marry in less than one month and one day?
A: It is possible to shorten the minimum notice time for a marriage to less than a month if special circumstances are met. After meeting me to complete the Notice of Intended Marriage form, you will need to approach a Prescribed Authority for approval. Prescribed authorities (usually at your Local Court ) can shorten the required period of notice if they are satisfied that circumstances prescribed in the regulations are met. There are five categories of circumstances:
  1. Employment related or other travel commitments.
  2. Wedding or celebrant arrangements, or religious considerations.
  3. Medical reasons.
  4. Legal proceedings.
  5. Error in giving notice.
Both individuals must be over 18 years of age and the marriage needs to be witnessed by two witnesses who are also over the age of 18.
You will also need to sign declarations stating that there is no legal impediment to your marriage.

Q: What if we are not legal residents of Australia?
A: Many interstate and overseas couples choose to be married in Wagga Wagga . I would be very happy to assist you in planning your special day here in Wagga Wagga.
It is a very simple process to be married in Australia by a civil celebrant. Your wedding can be organised while you are still in your home  country. All arrangements can be made by mail, telephone or email .
After your wedding you will need to obtain a Certified Marriage Certificate from the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. In order for your marriage to be recognised in your country of residence, you may need to organise an Apostille stamp from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Sydney.

If you are an Australian marrying a partner born overseas, who is applying for a prospective spouse or fiancé visa, I am happy to provide you with a letter for the appropriate Australian embassy advising them of your intention to marry, once you have completed and lodged a Notice of Intended Marriage with me.

Fee Structure:
  • Wedding within Wagga Wagga ( includes all paperwork , lodgement of Notice of Intention form & ceremony) - $450
  • Weddings outside Wagga Wagga- $450 plus travel expenses (by negotiation).

Please feel free to contact me with any more questions that you have.

Sheryll Prowse


Contact Details
Sheryll Prowse
Inglewood Rd Wagga Wagga, NSW
Phone : 02 69227712
Email : [email protected]